- Program Overview ›
- How To Apply ›
- Open House Information
- Facts + Figures ›
- Research Groups
- Center for Bits and Atoms
- Degrees of Study
Degrees of Study
Master of Science
The Program in Media Arts and Sciences (MAS) offers the master of science degree.
- Residency of two academic years (one semester may be a summer semester)
- Research thesis
- Five academic course subjects over two years, in addition to research work
A small number of MIT undergraduates continue on toward the MS degree. Typically these students have extensive experience at the Media Lab through the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP), and are engaged in interdisciplinary programs that emphasize media arts and sciences. In some cases, an early decision is made at the beginning of their senior year regarding admission to the master’s program.
Doctor of Philosophy in Media Arts and Sciences
- Minimum of three semesters of residency beyond the master of science degree
- Qualifying examination (consisting of written and oral components)
- Program of original research leading to a thesis, and a thesis defense
Students pursuing the PhD degree without a master’s in media arts and sciences are usually admitted first as master’s students; continuation to the doctoral program is then conditional on performance in the master’s program.